This beautiful hand carved lindenwood sculpture serves as a focal point in St. Peter's sanctuary. Generously donated to St. Peter Lutheran Church, it contains a variety of symbols of our Christian faith.
The key symbolic element in the sculpture is of course the cross itself, but there are several other important Christian symbols visible.
· Holy Baptism is represented by the flowing water near the bottom.
· The Holy Spirit is pictured as a dove, reminding us that at his baptism, the Holy Spirit descended on Jesus in the form of a dove. The gold "halo" around the dove's head (called a nimbus) is a sign of the holy presence of God.
· The burning candle reminds us of the description in John 8:12 of Jesus as "the light of the world," the one who lights our way to life.
· Similarly, the golden rays behind the cross witness to Jesus as the "Son of Righteousness," reminding us of his resurrection.
· Finally, the cross within the cross — looking somewhat like the letter "p" — is in fact a representation of two letters of the Greek alphabet, "chi" and "rho." In the Greek language — the language of the New Testament — they are the first two letters of the title "Christ." Over the centuries, the chi-rho symbol has become a symbol of our Savior. On this particular sculpture, the loop of the chi also resembles a shepherd's crook, reminding us that Jesus is also our Good Shepherd.
Perhaps you can see other signs or symbols in the sculpture. Look carefully at it to see what you discover!
Feel free to share your thoughts about this sculpture with any of the congregation's leaders, or with the pastor.
Beginning September 16 & 17
Traditional Worship Service
Sunday School, Confirmation, Adult Forum - Table Talk
Rally Day will take place on September 10th. There will be one worship service at 9:00 am. Following the conclusion of the service at 10:15, there will be Sunday School Registration, Blessing of the Backpacks, Interactive Story Telling, and Confirmation Orientation. Please join us for a meal served by the Youth Board after worship or following Sunday School at 11:00 am.
The Owls group normally meets the 2nd Wednesday of the month at 11:30. Our next lunch will be September 13th.
We enjoy a light lunch together, share a devotion, and relax with conversation. This group is for any woman who has lost a husband, recently or years ago. It is a time for sharing, fellowship, and support.
Men's Bible Study meets the third Saturday of the month to discuss the lectionary readings for the week. Our next meeting is on Saturday, September 16th at 8 a.m.
Men's Breakfast meets the last Saturday of the month. Our next meeting will be September 30th at 8 a.m.
Senior Fellowship Lunch meets on the third Friday of the month at 11:30 a.m. All "seniors" are welcome. Our next gathering will be September 15th . Please join us and bring a friend! Contact Jim Daack for more information at (563) 580-0860.
The Women's Evening Bible Study group meets once a month. Our next gathering is Thursday, September 21st at 7 p.m.
There is also an afternoon Women's Bible Study that meets on September 28th at 1:30.
Download this month's church newsletter from the Bellringer archive page.